BIRGIT SAMBETH GLASNER
Attorney-at-law LL.M. & Partner at ALTENBURGER LTD legal + tax,
Geneva, Zurich & Lugano - Switzerland
Civil, Commercial and Criminal Mediator, Accredited by the Swis Courts
Former Deputy Judge for conciliations at the Geneva Courts (1994-2008)
Vice President of the Swiss Bar Association
- Attorney at law, LL.M. international Banking and Finance, Boston
Head of the Dispute resolution team of Altenburger Geneva
Special areas of practice
: International and national company & commercial relations, contract law, distribution and franchises,
organisation & governance, M&A, trade and finance, bankruptcies & reorganizations, labour and employment, construction, real estate and leaseholds, intellectual property, professional liability as well as complex family matters in inheritance matters and estates, as well as
international matrimonial cases and divorces.
: early case assessment, negotiation, mediation, litigation and arbitration & collaborative law
-International Sworn and accredited Mediator (Mediator since 1997)
-Visiting professor teaching Commercial Mediation
at : “Master Degree in International Dispute Resolution”, University of Fribourg (CH) and “Master in International Trade”, Torino (Italy) (both with Prof. Pierre Tercier) & “Diploma and Master of Arts in International Trading, Commodity Finance and Shipping” HEC Geneva, “MIDS Master in International Dispute Settlements” HEI Geneva (CH), CAS HEIG Yverdon & Mediation Advocacy at ECAV Ecole de l’Avocature, Geneva and BUCERIUS Law School, Hamburg (D).
- Lic. Iur. 1984, Bar exam 1990, Geneva (CH) and 1986, LL.M. International Banking Law, Boston (USA)
- First trained at Lloyds Bank plc and then worked with Baker & Mc Kenzie Chicago and Geneva before practicing 5 years at the Tax and Legal Department of Ernst & Young in Basel.
- Managed her own law firm for 11 years in Geneva and merged with Altenburger Geneva and Zurich in 2005.
- Deputy Judge for conciliations at the Geneva Courts (1994-2008)
Specific experience and accreditations
- Listed in Who's Who since 2011 and especially Who's Who legal Switzerland 2017: “Highly experienced, with a truly international practice” and "commended for her strategic outlook when it comes to dispute resolution and her excellent record as a mediator".
- Certified Mediator by the Swiss Bar Association, IMI International Mediation Institute, SCCM Swiss Chamber for Commercial Mediation, CEDR Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution, London, CPR New York, CMAP Centre de Médiation et d’Arbitrage de Paris, SCIA Shenzen Court of International Arbitration, China, INSOL International Insolvency Mediator and listed as Neutral at ICC and WIPO.
Membership of professional organisations
- President of the Swiss Committee of UIA Union Internationale des Avocats
- Member of AIBL Association of Business Lawyers
- Member of INSOL Insolvency Practitioners
- Distinguished Fellow of IAM International Academy of Mediators, Toronto
- Chair of the ADR Committee of the Geneva Bar
- Former Vice-Chair of the IBA Mediation Committee and National representative for Switzerland
- Vice President for Geneva of the Swiss Chamber for Commercial Mediation (Founding member 1997)
- Vice-Chair of the Mediation Committee of the ABA International Section
- Member of the European Advisory Board of CPR- International Institute for Conflict Prevention & Resolution
- Member of the Advisory Committee for the ICC International Mediation Competition 2010 and 2011
- Member of the Swiss Arbitration Association (ASA), ICC Switzerland and the Geneva Business lawyers (AGDA)
- Born in 1962 in Geneva, Swiss national
- French & German (mother tongues), English (fluent), Spanish and Italian (very good understanding)